Who are we?
The Town has Councillors elected by the residents every four years. For more information on your Councillors’ click here
There are 15 Councillors each representing one of four wards. You can see which ward you live in by looking at the map below.
Councillors by Ward
Wilmslow West Ward
Cllr Barton, Cllr Potts, Cllr Hoffmann, Cllr Romain
Dean Row Ward
Cllr Watkins, Cllr McCarthy, Cllr Ferguson, Cllr Newall
Lacey Green Ward
Cllr Brooks, Cllr Carr
Wilmslow East Ward
Cllr Anderson, Cllr Sarwar, Cllr Goldsmith, Cllr Kelly, Cllr Katre
You can contact any of the Councillors in your ward to express a point of view and or to seek their support, alternatively you can contact the Town Council Office if you have a query. The Principle Officer of the Town Council is Matthew Jackson.
The Town Councillors attend monthly Council meetings and also are allocated Committee responsibilities where they make decisions in smaller groups on behalf of the entire Council.
Town Councillors are unpaid vounteers who are entitled if they wish to stand for election on the platform of a political party. Currently the council is made up of representatives of the Conservatives, the Liberal Democrats and the Residents of Wilmslow Group, the next elections are due in May 2023 although any vacancies arising before that time would be filled as and when they arose.
Individual Councillors are often chosen by the Town Council as representatives on local community groups, the current list of Council representatives is as follows
Friends of the Carrs - Cllr V Brooks
Lindow Common Advisory Group - Cllr G Barton
Wilmslow Business Group - Cllr B Hoffmann
The Evans Trust - Cllr F McCarthy and Cllr D Carr
Wilmslow Aid Trust and Amos Johnson Fund - Cllr V Brooks and Cllr C Katre
Manchester Airport Liaison - Cllr I Ferguson and Cllr C Katre ( Deputy Cllr H Sarwar
Incredible Edible and Wilmslow In Bloom - Cllrs J Potts anad Cllr F McCarthy
Wilmslow Clean Team - Cllr I Ferguson and Cllr F McCarthy
Plasic Free Wilmslow - Cllr O Romain
Wilmslow Civic Trust - Cllr L Anderson
What do we do?
The Town Council duties include:
- To support and encourage community initiatives this is either in the form of vocal support or financial support through our grants scheme
- To enhance the environment and community facilities this includes the provision of floral planters throughout the town, the introducion and maintenance of benches and other street furniture. We currently work with commercial partner 'Oak Nurseries' and community partner ' Wilmslow In Bloom'. The Town Council has provided funding to help install the Rota Gym at the Carrs Park and funding to aid the setting up of the popular Wilmslow Junior Parkrun. The Town Council built the new toilet and kiosk block at the Carrs which is the largest single project of the Town Council to date and has proved very successful.
- To encourage a sence of comminity, this includes the direct organisation and funding of such events as the Cinema on the Carrs, the partcial funding of the Wilmslow Show and the organisation of the Remembrance Sunday event in conjunction with the RBL and St Bartholomews Chuch
- To support the economic vibrancy of the town, this includes the organisation and funding of Christmas Lights and the Christmas Lights switch on event which includes the annual Reindeer Parade. The Council supports other Town Centre events including the Scarecrow Festival and has in the passed worked with the Wilmslow Business Group in helping to fund such events as the Wilmslow Motor Show..
- Review and comment on planning applications that have been submitted to the Planning Authority ( Cheshire East Council), speaking up regarding local concerns and ensuring that the Planning Authority have full regard for local planning matters including the content of the Wilmslow Neighbourhood Plan.
- Liaise with relevant authorities regarding infrastructure /policing/community issues to represent your views and get the best advantage for the local area
- Engage with all interested parties regarding current and future shape of life in the local area.
Operating within the borough of Cheshire East Council, which retains the statutory responsibilities of a principle authority, Wilmslow Town Council works within the legal framework set out for Town and Parish Councils to enhance and supplement services and to recognise and promote local initiatives.
Wilmslow Town Council works in the Cheshire East Council area but is an entirely separate council making its own decisions without influence from the Principle Council. The devide between the responsibilities of the two Councils is often confusing and sometimes frustrating for residents but the Town Council are happy to be contacted in order to direct you in the right direction.
Wilmslow Town Council is funded via a precept collected with the Council Tax by Cheshire East Council whi pass the funding down to the Town Council. In 2019.20 this precept was £27.45 for a band D property in Wilmslow ( national average £67). Wilmslow Town Council only receives funding from residents and does not receive any funding from businesses through business rates.
The primary roles for the Town Council are to enhance and supplement services provided by the primary authority, to provide services and facilities that Cheshire East Council would not otherwise provide but which Wilmslow residents value, and to support and promote local initiatives and community groups. The Town Council also has a significant role in voicing the views and concerns of residents.
When we meet
All Town Council meetings are open to the public.
The Town Council usually meets on the third Monday of each month except for the month of August, subject to how Bank Holidays fall, Committee meetings are also normally scheduled for Monday Evenings.
The Town Council standing Committees are Finance and General Purposes, the Planning Committee and Communitee and Order.
For more details on the dates, times and venue of Council meetings, please vist the meetings page of the website.
The Town Council would be happy to hear from you should you have any thoughts, ideas, concerns or observations. To contact the Town Council you can either visit our contacts page or alternatively speak to one of your Councillors direct (click here to identify your Councillors).
If your query is about Parking Enforcement, Highway Repairs, Council Tax bills, Refuse Collection, Planning or Adult/Children's Services then you would be best suited, in the first instance, to communicate direct with the Primary Authority, Cheshire East Council, click here for details. Wilmslow Town Council however would be happy to try to assist in these matters if you continue to experience difficulties or you feel the need of our support.